It could happen in any office in Manchester. Your boss starts making unusual comments about your colleague, they’re seen having lunch together in the city centre, and suddenly it’s common knowledge they’re having an affair, and you’re stuck in the middle of it. You know both spouses, and they find out you know, and you’re stuck between a rock and a hard place.
If you think your colleague might be having an affair with the boss, it’s rarely as obvious to spot as finding the two of them holding hands on the roof of the office, gazing out over Manchester is it?
Here are 10 signs to watch out for, that might show something is going on:
- Your boss starts talking about new interests he’s developed, and places he’s been. He might mention this new restaurant in Manchester he’s tried, and funnily enough, it turns out that your colleague has been there too. You didn’t even know they both liked exotic food!
- Your colleague comes into work one day looking completely different, new hair, new clothes, new aftershave or perfume. Wow, they’re clearly making an effort. Apparently your boss notices too, and it seems they’ve got a nicer suit on as well.
- Every evening, you know exactly when either of them are leaving the office, because they make a point to announce it to everyone. Your boss seems to be telling everyone that they’ll be getting the train home from Manchester Piccadilly, whilst your colleague seems to keep informing you that they’re getting a later train from Manchester Victoria. Really, they’re just trying to cover things up!
- It might seem like it’s your lucky day, when your boss is unusually nice, and sending you home from work early because you’ve done a great job. But yet, your colleague is staying late to work overtime, and your boss if sticking around too. When you come in the next morning, it doesn’t look much work has been done. That’s a bit strange isn’t it?
- When you ask either of them about the other, there’s some strange behaviour going on. They get shy, defensive, overly friendly, or overly harsh. It might be like they’re avoiding each other in the office.
- They both start to have some strange phone behaviour. It might not be as obvious as them both being on the phone at the same time, but your colleague might be hiding their phone more often, giggling and smiling at something on there, or listening to their voicemails in private, when they never used to.
- Neither of them seem to want to talk about their lives outside work, or their spouses. They get defensive or annoyed – a sure sign of guilt.
- There’s a sudden interest in taking business trips, or urgent meetings come up on the other side of Manchester they both need to attend. It looks like there’s lots of new client business expenses at Manchester bars and restaurants too.
- One of them comes into the office wearing the same clothes as yesterday. That’s unusual isn’t it?
- They keep being found in the same places together in the office. And if they’re in the photocopying room together – this being the boss that doesn’t know how to use the printer – well, you know there’s definitely something going on!
Can you think of any other signs?